The following principles underpin CLAAD’s mission and activities:
- Compassion – Society must demonstrate compassion for individuals on both sides of the prescription drug abuse issue: those affected by addiction or overdose, and those who have a legitimate medical need for treatment with controlled medication.
- Privacy – Constitutional privacy rights of patients as well as their health care providers must be vigorously protected to prevent discrimination based on health conditions and ensure that patients receive appropriate medical care.
- Economics – Policies must reflect economic principles, such as supply and demand, and recognize that private-sector innovation is instrumental in addressing public health and safety problems.
- Limited Government – Federal and state governments must act within the confines of their powers, and they have a responsibility to provide regulatory clarity.
- Science – Systematic study and scientific knowledge must inform policy and decision making.